Yes, as bananas are dear to us through our “Go Bananas” project, I was surprised to find a blog article about the reuse of banana peels. The only uses I knew, was using it to fill the compost or to see people slip and take a fall. Now, there are at least 7 extra Genius Shortcuts to reuse your banana peels. For once, I did not try them out, so try them at your own risk 🙂
1. Help Your Garden Grow: Bananas are naturally high in potassium and encourages plant growth. Use banana peel or puree entire banana and bury with soil.
2. Shoe Polish: Use the peel to make your kicks nice and shiny.
3. Stop the Itch: Rub the inside of a banana peel on a bug bite helps itch relief.
4. Pain Reliever: The oil in a banana peel will help relieve the pain from (sun)burns and scratches.
5. Wart Removal: Tape a piece of banana peel on a wart, continue until it’s gone.
6. Make Houseplants Gleam: Just like peels can shine shoes, they can also be used to make the leaves of plants shine.
7. Removing Splinters: Similar to wart removal, tape a piece of the peel over the splinter. The enzymes will help dislodge the splinter and heal the wound.
Of course, I did some extra research and found a couple of extra Genius Shortcuts for reusing bananas:
8. Tender Chicken: Bake skinless chicken breast with a banana peel over the top. It replaces the skin and keep your chicken more tender.
9. Teeth Whitener: Rub your teeth with a banana peel for 2 minutes daily.
10. Face mask: Mash up a banana and put it as a mask on your face for 20 minutes. Works even better with yogurt and honey added.
So, now you know everything you need to Go Bananas! 🙂