Can you believe it? I am in love for more than 20 years! Tonia and I are officially together for 20 years!
I know that very few people meet their soulmate or even a significant other during their lifetime. I guess I am just lucky (although I don’t believe in luck) 😉
Many people often ask us what the secrets are of our long-lasting relationship?
It is rather difficult to come up with an exhaustive list that will make any relationship work. Remember that we are not experts in this matter, we are only experienced 🙂
But if I have to come up with some elements, then here they are:
- Acceptance : accept who you are and especially who the other person is. Accept his/her beauty and his/her “faults”. Don’t try to fix him/her!
- Trust : if there is no trust, there is no relationship! Give each other enough freedom too. It’s OK to do things apart from each other.
- Openness : be open-minded and listen to what the other person is telling you. No kidding, really listen. You can always answer (or judge) later on.
- Being there : if you are not there, you miss the most beautiful moments together. You might grow apart!
- Grow together : inspire each other to grow. Create space to develop yourself and the other person too. Learn from each other.
- Honesty : be honest to each other and talk, communicate as much as possible. And please listen! Didn’t I tell you that already 😉
- Magic : create some magic in your relationship. Keep the romance going. We have one evening during the week that we call “date night”. We take turns to discover new places together, doing something new, eating out, walking or just talking. Where is the magic in your relationship?
- Fun : create time to do fun things together! Tonia is my best friend. We laugh a lot, no we are laughing every day! If you can’t have fun together, why are you still together?
Like I said, these are only some points that are making a difference to our lives. And we are glad to share them with you!
Enjoy and have a great life (together)!
Bert & Tonia
P.S.: It might also help to say : I ♥ YOU to each other (regularly)!